Krishia Marie Abayan,
Anthony J. Abella,
Mariel Grace Acain,
Arianne Janine Alo,
Ivana Mae Canlas,
Jana Danica Paraiso,
Maria Andrea Tenorio
Institute of Clinical Laboratory Sciences - Silliman University
Seed and leaf extracts from Leucaena leucocephala plants grown within the vicinity of Silliman University Farm were tested for its cytotoxic and anti-inflammatory activities at different concentration. Ipil-ipil seeds and leaves were dried up before being crushed or pulverized in powdered form and then processed to form an aqueous solution. Experimentation on the anti-inflammatory activity was done through the usage of albino rats as the test specimen. Administration of the solution was done at a different route after controlled inflammation (albumin) was given and data was observed based on three criteria which are loss of function, swelling, and redness. For the cytotoxic test, Artemia salina or brine shrimps were used as a test subjects. A controlled number of the samples were made to live in a prepared environment brought up by different concentrations (5, 50, 500 ug/ml) of the extract in a test tube. Results show that Leucaena leucocephala had no potent inhibitory effects for inflammation based on the three criteria considered by the group on the rat's paw, however, it did exhibit cytotoxicity by producing an LD50 effect in the 5 ug/ml concentration of the extract.
7. Ashok, K. , Krishna, M. , Pravin, G. , Shivaji, A. , Shripal, M. . "In vitro cytotoxic property of seeds of Cucurbitapepo." International Journal of Pharmacological Screening Method.
2, 92-94, 2012. Retrieved from: http://Retrieved September 9http://2012szwww.ijpsmjournal.com/zip.php?file=File_Folder/92-94.pdf.
8. Bastos, M. L., Lima, M. R., Conserva, L. , Andrade, V. , Rocha, E. , Lemos, R. . "Annals of clinical microbiology and antimicrobials." Studies on the antimicrobial activity and brine shrimp toxicity of Zeyheria tuberculosa (Vell.) Bur. (Bignoniaceae) extracts and their main constituents.
8, 16, 2009. Retrieved from: http://Retrieved from http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf
10. Carballo, J. , Hernández-Inda, Z. , Perez, P. , & Garcia-Grávalos, M. . (2001, November 30). Methodology article.. A comparison between two brine shrimp assays to detection vitro cytotoxicity in marine natural product.. . Retrieved from: Retrieved from http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6750/2/17
12. Davis, J. J., Fernandez, J. M., Millamena, A. A., Puchala, R. , Reis, P. J., Sahlu, T. , & Tesfai, K. . "Technical note: tissue residues of mimosine and 2,3-dihydroxypyridine after intravenous infusion in goats." Journal of animal science
73, 172-176, 1995. Retrieved from: http://Retrieved from http://www.journalofanimalscience.org/content/73/1/172.full.pdf
14. Dorland Saunders/Elsevier, 2007. (Philadelph)
18. Fayemi, P. O., Onwuka, C. F., Isah, O. A., Jegede, A. V., Arigbede, O. M., Muchenje, V. . "Effects of mimosine and tannin toxicity on rabbits fed processed Leucaena leucosephala (Lam) De Wit. leaves" African journal of agricultural research
6, 17, 4081-4, 2011. Retrieved from: http://Retrieved from http://www.academicjournals.org/ajar/PDF/pdf2011/5%20Sept/Fayemi%20Oct%20et%20al.pdf
22. Goldsby, R. . Immunology. (5th ed.). New York: W.H. Freeman and Co., 2003.
27. Kiran, G. , Manilal, A. , Selvin, J. , Shakir, C. , Sujith, S. . "Cytotoxic potentials of red alga, Laurencia brandenii collected from the Indian Coast" Global Journal of Pharmacology
3, 2, 90-94, 2009. Retrieved from: http://Retrieve http://idosi.org/gip/3%282%2909/7.pdf
31. Magaji, M. , Mohammed, M. , Yaro, A. , Tanko, Y. , Mohammed, M. M.. "Analgesic and anti-inflammatory activities of the methanolic leaves extract of Securinega virosa (Euphorbiaceae)." Nigerian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences
8, 1, 47-53, 2009. Retrieved from: http://Retrieved from http://www.abu.edu.ng/journals/njps/pdf/45.pdf
35. Muanrit, O. , Pisutthanan, S. , Plianbangchang, P. , Ruanruay, S. . "Brine shrimp lethality activity of Thai medicinal plants in the family Meliaceae." Naresuan University Journal
12, 2, 13-18, 2004. Retrieved from: http://Retrieved from http://www.thaiscience.info/jurnals/Article/Brine%20shrimp%20lethality%20activity%20of%20thai%20medicinal%20plants%20in%20the%20family%20meliaceae%2013-18.pdf
37. Norton, B. W.. Anti-nutritive and toxicity factors in forage tree legumes. In : Gutteridge, R.C. and Shelton, H.M. (eds.), Forage tree legumes in tropical agriculture, tropical grassland society of australiainc 1998.
38. Odyek, O. , Omagor, N. , Opio, A. , Oryema, C. , Ziraba, R. . "Phytochemical properties and toxicity to brine shrimp of medicinal plants in Erute county, Lira district, Uganda." Journal of Medicinal Plants Research
Vol. 5, 22, 2011. Retrieved from: http://Retrieved September 9http://2012http://www.academicjournals.org/jmpr/pdf/pdf2011/16Oct%20al.pdf
40. Orwa, C. , Mutua, A. , Kindt, R. , Jamnadass , R. , Simons, A. . (2008, November 30). Agroforestree Database: a tree reference and selection guide, 4.0. Leucaena leucocephala.. . Retrieved from: Retrieved from: http://www.worldagroforestry.org/treedb2/AFTPDFS/Leucaena_leucocephala.pdf
48. Punchard, N. A., Whelan, C. J., & Adcock, I. , Whelan, C. J., & Adcock, I. . (2003, November 30). Journal on inflammation.. . Retrieved from: Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1074343/.
52. Saunders, . Miller-Keane Encyclopedia and Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, and Allied health. 7th ed. Elsevier, Inc., 2003.
58. Tymchak, A. . Amino acids and proteins. In M. Bishop, E. Fody, & L. Schoeff (Eds.), Clinical chemistry: techniques, principles, correlations. Philadelphia, PA:: LIppincott Williams & Wilkins, 2010. pp.238-240.