Allyssa Clariz Abillar,
Krist Leo Ajero,
Keezel Neil At-at,
AC Bien Dela Cruz,
Irish Jullienne Goroy,
Tulip Jan Micarandayo,
Marnelli Vanelli Silot,
Rhys Eumir Tagimacruz
Institute of Clinical Laboratory Sciences - Silliman University
Food poisoning is a condition wherein a person experiences discomfort in the abdominal area due to bacteria or toxins. It happens when someone eats food or drinks beverages contaminated with bacteria, or its toxins. The common bacterial causes of food poisoning include Campylobacter, Salmonella, Shigella, Listeria, Clostridia, Bacillus cereus, and Staphylococcus aureus. S. aureus should be recognized more as one of the agents that ususally causes food poisoning since nearly everyone is a carrier of the said bacterium.
Staphylococcal food poisoning, caused by eating foods contaminated with toxins produced by S. aureus, is characterized by a quick duration of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain experiences after consuming food. Preventive measures include good personal hygiene and proper cleaning and sanitation practices.
The research study aimed to detect Staphylococcus aureus on utensils used in handling roasted chicken on establisments along Daro Highway and around Silliman University and correlate them to cleaning and sanitation practices of the workers of the said establishments. The specific problem objectives are to: (1) detect the possible presence of S. aureus from the utensils used in handling roasted chicken; (2) determine the workers' cleaning and sanitation practices, in terms of personal hygiene, and workplace and materials; and (3) find out if there is a significant correlation and accordingly relationship between the results of the culture to the outcome of the survey. The study only included the workers of the seven participating roasted chicken establishments and the chosen utensils, such as aprons, choppping boards, modified gloves, knives, and tabletops.
The research study found out that S. aureus can be isolated from the utensils used in handling roasted chicken in the roasted establishments and that the survey results indicated that the workers of the roasted chicken establishments are always upholding and practicing the proper cleaning and sanitary practices. The frequency of the utensils in every establishment and the corresponding weighted means of their survey results point put that there is no significant correlation and relationship between the presence of S. aureus in the utensils used in handling roasted chicken and the cleaning and sanitation practices of the workers in the roasted chicken establishments.
Based on the outcome of the research study, it is recommended that training courses for food handling practices should be reviewed and impromptu inspections should also be done. Another suggestion is to subject into the study a larger population with a more controlled environment and more accurate identification techniques. Furthermore, other utensils should aldo be studied, such as the plastic cellophane used to wrap purchased chicken.
1. Jumalon, Ernesto . Environmental Sanitation Section, City of Health Office, Dumaguete City. Interview. 2011.
2. Han, Feifei , Pu, Shuaihua , Hou, Aixin , and Ge, Beilei . "Created on: July 17, 2010, modified on: October 12, 2010. Characterization of clinical and environmental types of Vibrio vulnificus isolates from louisiana oysters." Foodborne Pathogens and Disease
volume 6(number 10): . Retrieved from: http://Baton Rougehttp://LA 70803: © Mary Ann Liebert INC. DOI: 10. 1089/fdp.2009.0343. Retrieved on: October 13http://2010.
3. Koopmans, Marion , Vennema, Harry , Heersma, Heere , van Strien, Elisabeth , van Duynhoven, Yvonne , Brown, David , Reacher, Marc , and Lopman, Ben . "For the European Consortium of Foodborne Viruses. Created and modified on August 21, 2003. Early identification of common-source foodborne virus outbreaks in Europe." Emerging Infectious Diseases
volume 9(number 9): September 2003. Retrieved from: http://Netherlands. Retrieved from:www.cdc.Gov/eid.Retrieved on: October 13http://2010.
4. M, Nkuchia , Sandt, Carol , Localio, A. Russell , Tewari, Deepanker , Rankin, Shelley , Whichard, Jean , Altekruse, Sean , Lautenbach, Ebbing , Folster, Jason , Russo, Anthony , Chiller, Tom , Reynolds, Stanley , and McDermott, Patrick . "Created on: July 20, 2010. modified on: October 12, 2010. Multi-resistant salmonella isolates from retail chicken meat compared with human clinical isolates." Foodborne Pathogens and Disease
volume 7(number 8): . Retrieved from: http://Harrisburghttp://PA 17120: © Mary Ann Liebert Inc. DOI: 10. 1089/fpd.2009.0499. Retrieved on: October 13http://2010
6. Sospedra, Isabel , Rubert, Joseph , Soler, Carla , Soriano, Jose , and Mañes, Jordi . "Created on: July 17, 2010, modified on: October 12, 2010. Microbial contamination of milk and dairy products form restaurants in Spain." Foodborne Pathogens and Disease
volume 6(number 10): . Retrieved from: http://Spain: © Mary Ann Liebert Inc. DOI:10.1089/fpc.2009.0337. Retrieved on: October 13http://2010
7. van der Mee-Marquet, Natalie , Domelier, Ann Sophie , Salloum, Mazen , Violette, Jeremie , Arnault, Laurence , Gaillard, Nicolas , Bind, Jean-Louis , Lartigue, Marie-Frederique , Quentin, Roland , and the Bloodstream , . "Created on November 26, 2009, modified on: October 12, 2010. Molecular characterization of temporary geographically matched Streptococcis agalactiae strains isolated from food product and bloodstream infections." Foodborne Pathogens and Disease
volume 6(number 10): . Retrieved from: http://France: © Mary Ann Liebert Inc. DOI: 10.1089/fpd.2009.0287.Retrieved on: October 13http://2010
8. Cubelo, Teodora . Bacteriology Manual Clinical Laboratory Sciences, Silliman University, 2011.
9. Operational manual for sanitary inspectors and other related workers (Section of RHU Manual) Manila: Republic of the Philippines, 1975.
10. Goldman, Jonathan (Ed.) . Webster Pocket dictionary. USA: Wiley Publishing, Inc., 2000.
11. Garbut, John . Essentials of food microbiology Great Britain: Arnold, Inc., 1997.
12. McSwane, David , Rue, Nancy , and Linton, Richard . Essentials of food safety and sanitation (4th ed.) New Jersey: Pearson Education, Inc., 2005.
13. Suyo, Perla . Basic concepts of foodservice Iloilo, Philippines: Panorama Printing, Inc., 1998.
14. Weiss, Neil . Elementary statistics. 3rd ed. USA: Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Inc., 1996.